Being kind and accessible is vital in the service industry. It is so important to build relationships with other agents so that they want to work with you. There are times when an offer comes in from an agent who is difficult. Reputation is important. With that said, it's never too late to change. Start with kindness.

Some people don't take that into consideration when hiring an agent to represent them. As much as we don't want to talk about it, there are agents who are difficult to work with and that will affect the buyer or seller. Some agents do not return phone calls or emails. Some agents are just not friendly and they have personal agendas. What people need to understand is that your agent represents you. If your agent is difficult, the other party is going to assume you're difficult. I've had buyers walk away from sales because of the other agent was making things too difficult.

It's like how I want to be treated in a store. If I have the time to actually shop (which is rare), I just want the sales person to say hello to me and notice my presence, and then leave me alone until I talk to them. I will leave a store if the sales person will not leave me alone. I do not want to be told that something will look good on me. I don't want them bringing me outfit ideas that I didn't ask for. I don't want to make small talk. I just want space. I don't want someone to be cold to me or completely dismiss my presence, but just allow me to wander. This is what I think about each time I have potential buyers or sellers. They know I'm always there, but I'm not following them around and bugging them constantly. There's warmth and power in quiet kindness. They may choose to hire someone else and that's okay. But the people who appreciate that I'm here waiting are rewarded.

With that said, there is a fine line between kindness and being a pushover. Agents are hired to represent and negotiate. But negotiations do not have to be the War of the Roses. There should never be ego involved. I've been in tough negotiations. It is business. That's it. Your client knows what he/she wants and it is your job to voice that and if necessary try to find common ground. Voices should not be raised. Names should not be called. There should discussion and reasoning. Kindness does not make you a pushover. When you are a pushover, you have little-to-no personal boundaries. That makes you appear weak with no confidence. Kindness is a superpower. If you can remain calm and kind in tough situations, you win. You must always have your client's best interest in mind. Getting nasty only causes problems that grow. It is not fun to be at a closing table when the people involved are not nice.

How does being kind give you power? People will respect you. As a teacher for 20 years, there were times that student or parent behavior almost broke me; but by exposing myself to conflict and challenging situations, I somehow got stronger. Outside of school, I surrounded myself with the people who love me and I soaked in their respect so that I could face that tough student, parent, or classroom again. The older I get, the stronger my emotional strength becomes. I learned a long time ago that listening and being quiet and kind was more powerful than being heard. I have to say that it helps that I'm an introvert. I love being around one or two people at a time. I can easily connect that way.

When you're ready to talk, I'm here. I'm not going to hound you. As your agent, let's have a conversation about your goals, not my goals. I will listen and ask questions. I will expect that you will have questions. I have resources available if I do not know the answers to your questions or concerns. I do not expect you to have the answers to a very complex transaction like selling a home. Have the courage to say, please explain to me how this works. I'm not going to think you're stupid or naive. This is why you're working with a professional. I am here to help.

Real estate is constantly evolving. You need an agent who is constantly evolving and learning. You also need an agent who is also busy with clients buying and selling homes. How someone purchased a home in yesterday's market is not going to work in today's market. And today's market becomes yesterday's market faster than you may realize. Not only does the market change but so do contracts and terms. For instance, in October of this year the sales contract is changing. I've been quietly studying the new contract for some time so that I'm prepared for when you're ready to purchase or sell.


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more